Chapter 13 talked all about resilience. Resilience is the ability to survive and thrive despite adversity. Resilient children usually share these common attributes; social competence, problem-solving ability, autonomy, and a sense of purpose. What is a way you can provide a resilient community for your students? How will art make your students more resilient? Think back to the resilience workshop we attended.
Chapter 19 talked about key components of positive youth development. Positive youth development programs aim to prepare young people for success in life by focusing on the physical, emotional, social, economic, and academic wellbeing. What steps could you take to promote positive youth development in your classroom?
Now... look for a resource to help support your students as they learn to build resiliency or support for teachers as they work with students experiencing trauma. Share this on your blog.
I think resilience could be incorporated into art lessons, having students think about their stressors in their life and talk about how they may deal with those stressors in these situations within their artwork. I think it will also be important for students to slowly progress in the art room. In the classroom, I hear students say they can’t draw and they become frustrated when projects do not work out. I think in the future, I will plan to start with lessons that all students can be successful at and as we continue the projects will become progressively more challenging. I think it is important for students to recognize that they can be successful in the classroom but still challenge them.
Below a resource to support resilience in the classroom.
As teachers, it is important for us to promote positive youth development in our classroom. In my future classroom, I plan to have curriculum that will challenge students and encourage them to think critically. I have been in a classroom that has lessons that students seem to only be learning about the mediums and how they can be used it. I plan to have lessons that do not just simply teach skills, but also gets students thinking about their own experiences in life and their world around them. Like in chapter 19, the students were not just collaging but they were thinking about their experiences they have had in their life and they expressed themselves through their artwork. I think it is also important to get to know students and plan lessons that students are interested in.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteIt is so important to combine the skills and personal connections to students art! I am right there with you. Otherwise, why would they care about what they are making?
I love that you said "I think in the future, I will plan to start with lessons that all students can be successful at and as we continue the projects will become progressively more challenging."...scaffolding projects is such a great way to "trick" students into being proud of their work - when really they've always been good, they just didn't have the confidence!
Connections through big ideas :) good point ladies!
DeleteRachel,
ReplyDeleteI think the idea of increasing the amount of challenge present in lessons as students develop confidence is a great technique to not discourage students and to build both their courage and perseverance. I also have witnessed art classes that focus mainly on art techniques and don't offer much opportunity to practice problem solving and don't require students to reflect on important issues. I think for people to recognize the value of art in schools these characteristics need to be present.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteHelping your students with their stressors and finding ways to cop through art will be so helpful for your students. Not only will they be learning but they will take those resilient skill with them to cope later in life. I liked what you said . "I think it is important for students to recognize that they can be successful in the classroom but still challenge them. " Many students get shot down so easily when they cant get a project correct. Its important for them to know that they can succeed. But you cant forget to challenge them as well. The website you gave was awesome. I liked how it showed different things to look out for from your students.