Monday, April 8, 2019

Ch. 21

Chapter 21 shares the story of a community-based art project developed to celebrate Black community members and cultural heritage in the community. After learning about community engaged art (specifically arts-based service learning) what would you say were the biggest concerns of the project? Why was the author conflicted about participating in the project? What might you have done differently? How does this situation help you to think more critically of the projects you plan with community organizations?

While reading this (short) chapter, I felt as if the students really did not have much of their own input. The author may have been conflicted with the way she was incorporating Native American totem poles in a project about individuals from the black community. I think if I were to do this project I might not do totem poles, instead I may do portraits that express the individual. I also think it would be beneficial for students to decide who in the community they want to honor. I think is important to not only consider who in this project you are supporting and who you may be not supporting, like the Native Americans in the chapter.

Below I am including a similar project the Youth Art Team did of portraits of members of their community.

No comments:

Post a Comment