Social justice is defined as justice in terms of the distribution of wealth, opportunities, and privileges within a society. When we include artists in our curriculum it is important to teach about current artist that are making art today. Many contemporary artists today create their artwork as a way to compel the viewer to consider the inequality within our society and promote change. I think it's important that we discuss social justice in art class as a way to encourage and work toward a society that celebrates diversity and equality.
I have noticed, a lot of my experiences have helped me, to shape me into the person I want to be, and the things I want to stand for. Also by considering other people's viewpoints then just my own, I can reflect on what someone else may be going through, instead of being all about myself. It is important for adolescent to reflect on inequality in their community, from their viewpoint or from putting themselves in someone else's shoes. By exposing adolescents to reflecting on inequality or privileges, it gets kids thinking about more than just themselves. In these self or society reflection, one can develop their own identity and discover the things that they value and the things they are willing to stand for. Art can be a fantastic outlet, as a way to express oneself and the things that they find important. As teachers we should expose our students to thinking about social justice in art class. As a result, students may create new viewpoints or they may become consider another career choice, like being an activist artist, exploring non-profit, or jobs that carry the same values as your own.
I find Sanaz Mazinani to be interesting, but there is many other examples of artist on this website.
Rachel,
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed the link you included - what cool ideas for some lesson plans! I definitely bookmarked some of them! Thank you for sharing that!
I also think that this is a perfect time to introduce contemporary artists, as you said! We are always told to include them and to be inclusive in the artists that we choose to use, and this is the perfect opening to do so.
If you could choose an artist or two that you felt best represented a social justice issue that is important to you, who would you choose?
Great question Taylor, I posted Barbara Kruger today on our class blog. I think her simple color scheme and bold messages really captures students attention and pushes students to think critically. I also feel her work is very accessible to students and they can build off her ideas.
ReplyDelete