Sunday, February 17, 2019

Ch. 5 Responses

Choices are something we all value in our life, options are important, like what we are going to wear or who do you choose to surround yourself with. When it comes to schooling, parents only want the best for their children. The choice system is very deceiving, with the pretense that private  schools can give students a better education than basis public school. The system also does not serve students equally, due to some areas being more wealthy, giving the school a more vigorous curriculum, while those in low income areas have a more general curriculum. Private schools also seem to lack in the art department, which in turn means that the students have less experiences that would help them with skills like problem solving, being creative, and brainstorming ideas. I myself, on the other hand, may be a bit bias towards private school, due to the lack of experience with private school. Like everything there may be some cons about private school but there are still some pros, just like there are both pros and cons to public school.

Teachers are paid less even with long hours
Less qualified teachers: uncertified and unexperienced
Don’t stay at one school for a long time: charters have 136% higher turnover rate than traditional public school
Lacking in the arts department
To me I would feel used for working my butt off, with long hours to help teach kids but not being fairly compensated. I also would have a tough time making connections with my fellow staff. If my administration and or staff does not support the arts, I would fear if I even would continue to have that job.

At times in the art classroom, one may face student artwork that makes you think but is controversial. In that position, I would feel it is best for that student to continue to express themselves, this allows that student to feel that the classroom is a safe place to express themselves. In a private conversation with the student I would disguise how that artwork may be controversial, explaining that due to policies the artwork will not be able to be displayed in the hall. I would want to emphasize that this work is important to be apart of our culture to make people question certain things.

I do not have any artwork that would be considered controversial but I do really like the artist Marc Quinn. As all humans are different in their own way such as their body form. Quinn sculpts bodies that some may call abnormal. Some may not agree that the bodies are beautiful or that we need to get away from constant expectations for body form.



No comments:

Post a Comment